Get the India’s Closet look!
The lovely Simone has shared how she adds her ruffles to the bottom of togs.
1. Cut ruffles 2.3 x width of ‘waist’ and 2.5″ (6.5cm) long for sizes 2-3 or 3″ (7.5cm) long for sizes 4-7.
2. Sew 2 rows of gathering stitches on the top of each ruffle and pull bobbin threads to gather to the width of the swimmers. This helps to keep the ruffles flat when stitching and prevents the top rolling under.
3. On back of swimmers measure 3.5″ (9cm) / 4″ (10cm) for larger sizes from bottom of side seams and place a mark. Mark centre back according to your preference to create your ‘dip’. I don’t have a set measurement, just do it by what looks about right! Mark the next ruffle line 3/8″ (1cm) above this one.
4. Using a 1/4″ (0.7cm) seam stitch first ruffle on the bottom aligning top edge of ruffle with marked line then remove gathering stitches. You may need to use a stretch stitch for this step to prevent snapped stitches, I don’t need to with my machine though, I just stretch slightly as I am sewing and have not had any issues.
5. Repeat for remaining ruffles.
6. Pin side of ruffles to the side seam and check they are 1″ (2.5cm) from the bottom of the side seam, if not, just trim back or create a small tuck near the stitch line. This will ensure they are clear of the leg opening top stitching when finishing the elastic.
That’s it! Happy ruffling!